So the husband and I will be having a Yardsale this weekend and I would love to share some of my tips for a great sale.
1. I learned from our last sale that you must start early!This is so important since “salers” are early risers. They try to get out early to find the best items before everyone else. If you want traffic I advise a 7 am or 8 am start time.
2. Be organized! No one wants to dig. I thought I’d I grouped the baby clothes all together someone would look through them for the size they wanted. Nope they glanced and moved on quickly if they didn’t see what they wanted. So I learned the hard way to group the clothes by size, style and item. I sold much more much faster.
3. Talk. How ackward is it to browse a selection with a seller leering at you. A friendly disposition pays off in the end. And you might find a way to offer them more. “You have a son? I have a ton of boys clothes here.” It helps, trust me!
4. Have change. People rarely carry cash nowadays so if they have anything it’s probably fresh out of the ATM. If you don’t have change you’ll probably lose their money all together.
5. This I can not stress enough,
advertise. Signs just don’t cut it anymore. Still use them in addition to more new age attempts. Many towns have a yard sale Facebook page or Craigslist devotion. Utilize these.
6. Remember to price reasonably. People expect to get a deal. You do not have to give things away but think what you would pay second hand for these items.
7. Set a sale for several days. If you can have a Saturday and Sunday or Friday and Saturday sale. You will get different traffic on each day.
8. Be negotiable. Haggling is fun. Try it!
Good luck with your sale. I’d love to hear some additional tips in the comments!